Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Then ray took his glasses off

And I could look inside his head
Flashing like a thunderstorm
I saw a shining spider web

Ok, I know I haven't written in forever, sorry - I've been busy having a breakdown, but I am good now, and I want to talk about lace.

Last night at my LIC SnB, I brought the Shetland Triangle Shawl I am working on - this is the 4th time I am knitting this - the first 3 were/are gifts - this one is for me.

Shetland Triangle

I was saying how much I loved this pattern, how much fun it was to knit and how easy it was, that now I didn't really need the pattern I had the stitches memorized.

Close up fir cone stitch

Today I was reading Ravelry and saw a message on one of the forums regarding knitting a shawl in a heavier yarn than lace wt. I am knitting this one in DK wt Zephyr on size 9 bamboo needles. This pattern works really well in any yarn wt. I am calling the my Ode to Brooklyntweed because of this . I fell in love and have coveted one ever since.

But, this pattern is also beautiful in lace wt.
knitting 003
This is the 3rd one I am knitting - it is for a Ravelry swap I am in. This one is in Karabella Lace Mohair in a very soft green. I bought this yarn in Odgen, Utah when David and I were there a few years ago - I have been saving it for just the right project

Close up lace wt Shetland Triangle
Here is a close up of the yarn and stitch pattern.

If you put them side to side you can see how the different yarns give the pattern a unique look, but how both are really gorgeous.
Close up lace wt Shetland TriangleClose up fir cone stitch

This is one of the reasons I love knitting lace shawls, you are only limited by you imagination and taste. It is much easier to change out a yarn in a shawl pattern then a sweater - and no seaming, I HATE seaming.

I also need to start a new shawl, I am thinking more of a stole for another swap I am in, but I need to finish these 2 first.

spider web in ray charles head
spider web

2 comments:

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Isn't diversity beautiful? I just love the difference between the two shawls! They are both lovely in their own right. :)

itgirl said...

and great, now that song's in my head.