Friday, December 19, 2008

Red is the color of my true loves hair

Today is my birthday.

It is a horrible, snowy, icey day. I worked from home so I wouldn't have to drive anywhere. The original plan was to go out to dinner with David and the boys, then pick up our tree. The weather made that impossible - Robert couldn't get here, the trains from Brooklyn weren't running, Jeff made it home from school, but he was wet and frozen and I really didn't want David driving anywhere in this mess.

That said, I was still feeling kind of blue and decided I needed something to perk me up. About a week ago I was blog surfing and I came across this a entry on Wendy Knits http://wendyknits.net/archives/2641. I followed the link she gave for Henna for Hair http://www.hennaforhair.com/. I went to the site, read everything and ordered one of the bundles for reddish brown hair. It arrived in a couple of days and sat on the table cause I couldn't decide when, or even if I was going to henna my hair.

Last night was my office Christmas Party, I set up a dinner at Bella Via in LIC - it was a lovely night, but I was feeling kind of blah so when I got home I opened the henna package and mixed up the henna and apple cider vinegar. It needs to set overnight in a warm place so the color develops. I put it in a heavy bowl, covered it with plastic wrap and left it by the radiator.

The kit I bought came with 200gms Henna and 100 grams Indigo and Plastic gloves. The indigo is added to turn the red from the henna more brown, but it has to be mixed in right before you use it. I woke up this morning took a shower washed my hair, logged into worknand waited till my hair was dry so I could glop on the henna/indigo mixture. Once my hair was mostly dry I mixed up a little less the 1/2 the indigo, mixed into the henna with a little more hot water to smooth out the whole mixture, the used a spatula to smash it into my hair the pushed it through with my hands. I wrapped my head in plastic wrap and a towel and went back to work - 3 hours later I put my head in the sink and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed it the water looked clear. It was a little scary cause the henna looked green rinsing out of my hair. I loaded up ny head with Wen and let it sit for a minute then rinsed it out and ran to the bathroom to see what it looked like.

I like it - right now it is a dark auburn with red highlights - it looks really pretty when the light shines on it - and it feels amazing! My hair is fine, wavey and dry - now it feels think and full and sooo soft.

I can't wait to see what it looks like in the sun! The color is supposed to darken after a few days. I will wait and see what it looks like then and decide if next time I will use less indigo or maybe no indigo at all!

Anyway - it worked, I feel vibrant and colorful instead of dull and drab the way I was feeling.

So what do you think:

Henna Hair 001

Henna Hair 002

Henna Hair 005

Henna Hair 006

2 comments:

sulu-design said...

Happy birthday to you, Red! I love the henna job. Perfect way to kick off your new year.

Kathleen C. said...

I'm a little late... but it's gorgeous!!! I used to henna my hair years ago... it sure does make your hair feel thick and soft.
Great look!