Thursday, September 01, 2005

The good times are not rolling

I have been so moved by the nightmare brought on by quatrain - it seems so unbelievable that in this day and age so much devastation can be caused by a storm. You read about ancient cities that where destroyed by floods but you never realize that it could happen to you today.

One of the best weekends of my life was spent with friends in NO - we all flew in an met there on a Thursday night. These were friends Marilyn & I had met earlier on a trip to Mexico - they were from Lafayette LA and we had so much fun with them we planned another get together in NO. My memories of that weekend are of music, and food and laughter - so different from the pictures I see on my TV. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone effected by this tragedy.

My company company has increased it Matching Gifts Program to 4 to 1 for every donation to the Red Cross - I mailed in my this morning this way my $25 donation will be $125 with the matching donation from work. That is one thing I have always liked about this company - they are quick to provide help in many different ways during crisis' and times of need.

My own problems seem small and insignificant when compared to what is happening down south, still I am pleased that my mother was happy staying at the respite center overnight and is looking forward to spending the 2 weeks I am away there. I need to arrange for someone to drop her off on Tuesday morning and the following Monday morning - she won't be staying over the weekend - but otherwise I can go away and not have to worry about her while I am gone.

I want to thank everyone who has left me a comment or sent me an email about this - I appreciate all your kinds words and thoughts. If I haven't responded - it is just because I am still a little overwhelmed and short on time, but I am grateful to all of you.

A few people asked where the candleflame stole pattern could be found - it is in Shawls & Scarves - it doesn't look like much in the book, but when I saw the one made by Small Hands I knew I had to make it.

My Peacock Feathers shawl pattern came yesterday - I am planning on using the copper Zephyr for this. I also bought the FBS pattern cause I can't find the magazine with it in it and I like the way the pattern is printed - easier to use than the photostat from the magazine.

Later............

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that your mother is doing well at the respite center. It is humbling to compare our sufferings with those of the people hit by the hurricane, but our sufferings are still real. I will continue to think of and pray for you and your mother, in hopes that a long term solution will work out. I hope you enjoy yourself on your vacation!

Your secret pal.